Tamara Nelsen

Tamara Nelsen
Welcome to Nelsen For Council. This site is intended to be where the voters of Sidney can learn more about me as a candidate and my views on the issues. As a former editor of The Sun-Telegraph, and most recently a reporter for sidneystagecoach.com, I am the ideal candidate for council because of my knowledge of the community. For the past several years, I have reported on school board and county commissioner meetings, attending meetings of several political subdivisions such as the Sidney Historic Preservation board, the Sidney Historical Association, the fair board and city council. If I wasn’t covering an event, I was likely editing someone else’s report on it. That goes for community events in general. People will most likely recognize me as the lady with the camera, as I have had the privilege of being inside the ropes, front and center, for just about every major news event in Sidney recently. I have interviewed everyone from senators to a local woman who grew a batch of strange looking carrots.
Please feel free to contact me with your questions or comments by e-mailing tamaranelsen@gmail.com.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The misunderstood budget "crisis"

In response to my post about the economic development funds, I was asked the following question:
"That's cool and all but is there really a budget deficit and if so how should we deal with it?"

This is my reply.

I’m glad you put that in the form of a question, because it seems lots of folks don’t understand that we are not in a revenue crisis at this moment.

The $650,000 revenue shortfall was anticipated by city management when the budgets were proposed so the department heads were given strict instructions to trim everything possible.

We knew we weren’t going to get the money, so it had to be cut from the budget.

It was hoped that the legislation proposed by Sen. Ken Schilz would pass and the city would be given about $350,000 back. As we now know, that did not happen, but more cities in the eastern half of the state are starting to see shortfalls they did not anticipate and so this is likely to be addressed next session.

Remember when the radio and newspaper said that city council would need to raise our property taxes by something like 25 percent to cover the budgets? That was if the budget was passed as originally proposed without the cuts. That’s how the budget process works. Each department puts together a proposal of what they would really like to have, and then usually settles for what they need to have, or at least what they need to have the most.
The thing to remember if that we shouldn’t have to make these cuts year after year when the taxes we pay are as high as they are.
(And if the rules aren’t changed, we will have the same situation next year.)

Just think, if the state program is changed, we could see a reduction in our taxes without any reduction in services.

That would be nice, wouldn’t it?