Tamara Nelsen

Tamara Nelsen
Welcome to Nelsen For Council. This site is intended to be where the voters of Sidney can learn more about me as a candidate and my views on the issues. As a former editor of The Sun-Telegraph, and most recently a reporter for sidneystagecoach.com, I am the ideal candidate for council because of my knowledge of the community. For the past several years, I have reported on school board and county commissioner meetings, attending meetings of several political subdivisions such as the Sidney Historic Preservation board, the Sidney Historical Association, the fair board and city council. If I wasn’t covering an event, I was likely editing someone else’s report on it. That goes for community events in general. People will most likely recognize me as the lady with the camera, as I have had the privilege of being inside the ropes, front and center, for just about every major news event in Sidney recently. I have interviewed everyone from senators to a local woman who grew a batch of strange looking carrots.
Please feel free to contact me with your questions or comments by e-mailing tamaranelsen@gmail.com.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

No trash talk, please

I had a brief and eye-opening conversation with a Filsinger supporter earlier today.
She told me that I was wrong to sully the reputation of someone who had "done so much for the community." She said all the volunteer hours the councilman had put in, not only for the city, but while serving the fair board, should count for something.
She told me that she had called the city manager and let him know how angry she felt, and that the radio station was wrong in making a big deal about the situation.
I told her that I thought everyone should be treated equally, and that while I appreciated Mr. Filsinger contributions, it didn't excuse him from having to follow city ordinances.
She said the only reason he was being singled out is because he is a councilman.
I said that perhaps if a high-profile person such as a councilman was forced to comply with the ordinances, other people might feel more obligated to comply as well.
Then she ended the conversation because she said she was too angry to argue with me, giving me the "talk-to-the-hand" treatment as she walked away.

Interestingly, she couldn't deny the violations had occurred, only argue that no one should be talking about it and making Mr. Filsinger look bad.

I say if Mr. Filsinger hadn't ignored the letters asking him to bring the properties into compliance, or better yet, had not violated any city ordinances in the first place, there wouldn't be anything to talk about.